How should I measure ROI?

It’s a great question, and one we hear a lot.  How should you measure results from your commitment to content marketing?

Content is unique in that there are several ways your content can make an impact on your marketing and business.

However, it’s important to understand that like anything else, results can vary depending on a variety of factors such as your industry, your product’s positioning, the competitive landscape, how long you’ve been established, and other factors.

With that said, here are some common success metrics that our clients look at:

Steady Traffic Increase

The most common metric to look at is, of course, traffic.

At Audience Ops, we’ve seen a consistent increase of around 30% or more within 3-6 months and more in the 6-12 month period. This assumes you’re publishing quality, relevant content on a consistent schedule.

Many clients have noted that before starting their content plan, traffic was very “spiky” but adding a consistent release of new blog content has helped their traffic grow at a more steady, consistent pace.

This is due to having more articles available for visitors to discover via search engines, social media, referrals, or word of mouth.

Audience Growth

This is similar to traffic increase, except we’re looking at growth in the number of people who subscribe or follow you/your business.

Mainly, we’re looking at email subscriber growth and social media following. 

By publishing quality content and offering plenty of incentive-based entry-points (Content Upgrades on every article, a global lead magnet) where people can join your email list, you’re able to grow your audience with the right people for your business. 

The key here is quality over quantity. Building a list of hundreds or thousands doesn’t matter if those people aren’t your ideal customers. That’s where quality, well-researched content that attracts the right people comes into play. 

Key Marketing Assets

The content that you publish on your blog can (and should) be used in conjunction with other marketing strategies. 

For example, many clients run PPC ads pointing to articles to accelerate traffic growth. You might also run retargeting ads to bring people back who haven’t joined your lead magnet. 

Others have repurposed their content in different ways such as turning them into videos and webinars or white papers. 

Lead Nurturing

Most importantly, by publishing quality content on a regular basis, you’re able to send this content to the inboxes of your leads—keeping them warm to you and your brand—without coming off as overly “salesy”. Your content provides real value that helps them learn and understand your problem/solution, which makes them much more likely to buy or recommend you in the future. 

Think of it this way: 10% or so of people may discover you and buy from you right away.  What about the other 90%?  They might be your target customers but they’re just not ready to buy yet. Your content and email newsletters serve to keep those people in your audience and engaged so that when they’re ready, they think of you first.