Content upgrades are a key part of our service here at Audience Ops—and a key tool for constantly growing your email list. So, what exactly are these content upgrades, and how do they work? Here’s what you need to know:
What are content upgrades?
Content upgrades are a piece of bonus content that complements your blog post (think a checklist, worksheet, or list of additional tools and resources). Readers need to subscribe to receive that bonus—which will be delivered directly to their inbox. This bonus content incentivizes your readers to join your email list, as they receive a helpful and relevant freebie if they do.
How do we setup Content Upgrades (in WordPress)?
We use our a WordPress plugin called, appropriately, “Content Upgrades”. It is designed specifically for the purpose of delivering content upgrades to your subscribers. As an Audience Ops client, we issue you a complimentary lifetime license and we’ll install the Content Upgrades plugin in your WordPress site for you.
If you’re not using WordPress, then see this guide on how we setup Content Upgrades in non-WordPress sites.
How do Content Upgrades work?
A Content Upgrade consists of the following elements:
- The bonus downloadable piece of content (PDF)
- The call-to-action box/button, which we place midway through the blog article content, which looks like this:
- The popup form, specific to the Content Upgrade associated with this particular blog article, which looks like this:
- The delivery of the bonus download PDF, after the user has filled in their email address form. They’ll see their download link immediately and receive an immediate response email containing that download link. They’ll see this:
- The passing of the user’s name/email address into your email marketing tool (Drip, Mailchimp, etc.), and automatically tagged accordingly. Here’s how it looks in Drip:
We create a unique Content Upgrade with a unique call-to-action / form / response for each individual blog article that we produce for you. The Content Upgrades WordPress plugin streamlines the process of setting up all the pieces that go into each Content Upgrade.
What email platforms does our plugin integrate with?
As of this writing, the Content Upgrades WordPress plugin integrates directly with Mailchimp, Drip, ConvertKit as well as Zapier. If you don’t use Mailchimp, Drip or ConvertKit, then you can use the Zapier.com integration to connect seamlessly with just about any other email platform, such as ActiveCampaign, Infusionsoft, HubSpot, and many others. We can handle this setup for you.